Saturday, July 23, 2011
Anyway, thanks for putting up with my mini rant. I'm also excited to get in there and start putting stuff up so that I can take pictures and show everything to everyone!
PS~ I hit 100 followers today! I never imagined I'd get that many when I started this blog, but I'm so super excited to be a part of an online community of awesome and creative teachers. Maybe eventually I'll do a special giveaway... ;)
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Views from Room 205: What I Could Not Teach Without...Linky Party!
We all have those things that help make our days go smoothly and that make our lives as teachers more enjoyable.
Here are the things that make my day:
- Diet Mountain Dew OR Crystal Light Wild Strawberry Energy-- I wish I wasn't so dependent on caffeine, but surviving the morning usually doesn't happen without one of the two.
- Bath & Body Works hand sanitizers and soaps-- I buy the fun smelling cute ones for myself and let the kids use the plain kind. I kind of have a thing with hoarding hand sanitizers from there.
- My ELMO-- It's an older model and I will probably need an upgrade soon, but I can't imagine living without one. I'm so glad I never taught during the age of the overhead projector!
- Cardigans, Gap denim jacket, or my Columbia jacket-- I have an insane number of cardigans... Seriously. I've also had a long time love affair denim jackets from Gap and my most recent one is probably the most comfortable denim jacket ever. Plus, it looks cute with pretty much everything. My classroom is blessed with a great A/C that only knows hot and cold and not really anything in between. Layering is typically a necessity for all of us to stay comfortable.
- All of my fabulous work station and center activities from Lakeshore-- I don't think my reading work stations would run as smoothly as they do without all of the activities I've purchased from there. Check out my post from last week about my major shopping trip to see what all I picked up for the upcoming school year.
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
I always LOVED school. I grew up being an only child, so staying at home during the summer wasn't that much fun. I wanted to be at school with my friends and teachers...
When I got to college, I was one of those rare people that went started school and stayed with the same major the whole time.
But, sometimes I think about the careers I'd have considered had teaching not been my first love. Here is the list I have come up with:
- Interior Decorator
- Professional Game Show Contestant
- Personal Shopper
- Graphic Designer
Even on the worst days, I really don't regret my decision to become a teacher. Are there days when my students drive me insane? Yes. Do the assessments give me headaches and stress? Oh yes! Do budget cuts to education make me sick to my stomach? Yup. But, it's still totally worth it!
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Next, we hit up Mardel. I didn't do near as much damage there, but I still found quite a few things I needed (and a few wants as well). If I remember correctly, their big teacher sale is the 20th or 21st and everything will be 20% off. This sale is also going to be online with $5 shipping.
Then when we got home I hit up Dollar Tree. Ours are just now getting their school stuff put out, so there wasn't much to get, but I did manage to snag some neat plastic magazine holders and some poster board to make new pocket charts.
Here's what I picked up at Lakeshore:
- Spin and Answer Reading Comprehension Wheel
- Problem Solving Card Bank
- Read and Check Prefix / Suffix Cards
- Nonfiction Comprehension Quickie Cards
- Fluency and Comprehension Partner Scripts
- Nonfiction Acticity Chart
- Vocabulary Activity Chart
- Tabletop Chart Stand
- American Symbols Comprehension Cards
- Classwords Vocab Game
- Large dry erase pockets
- Charlotte's Web Game Show Questions
- Name tags
- Sticker charts
- Free lesson plan book
- Blank star poster
- Sports cutouts
- Over the door pocket chart hanger
- Small dry erase pockets
- Star stickers
- "Teachers Know All About Class" t-shirt
Friday, July 1, 2011
If you haven't been over the Ladybug's Teacher Files recently (or ever) you need to check out the Linky Party. I'm totally a sucker for a bargain and I love shopping the back to school sales for awesome deals. There are some great links on here that will lead you to great deals other teachers have found so far this summer! Happy shopping!