Sunday, November 27, 2011

Black Friday Lowdown

I mentioned in an earlier post that I was actually going to be working on Black Friday. The girls at my local Aerie store are always super nice when I come in so I talk to them a lot and during one of my recent visits the manager asked if I'd be interested in coming in to work for the day. I'd never worked retail before, but I certainly have plenty of experience shopping, so I decided to go for it and do something different for the day. With the exception of an office job I had for a year in college, all of my other employment has been related to teaching and / or working with kids. I must say that I had a really good day working. I found it really fun to help people pick out gifts and just do something different for a change. I was completely exhausted when my shift was over, but I had a lot of fun while I was there. (I was functioning on about 3 hours of sleep and did some shopping before my 6:45 a.m. shift started! Soooooo totally not typical of me!)

I really didn't do much Black Friday shopping this year. I'm really not one to go out early anyway. I value my sleep very much and nothing that I see in the ads is usually worth giving that up. Check out this pic I took when I drove by Best Buy on Wednesday night... The store was still open and there were already people camping out! Insane, if you ask me!

Anyway, I had my list of gifts for my family planned out and was able to pick up a few of those items on sale this weekend. While I was out, I found a few goodies for myself as well. I really tried not to spend a lot of money since I had a big shopping trip planned for next weekend. My goal was to save as much of my shopping budget as possible for the stores that we don't have here in town. Some of the sales this weekend were too good to pass up, though!

The rest of my days off have been pretty chill. I probably should have been working on some school projects on my to do list, but I've really been enjoying just relaxing. I got to see some family that was in town, hang out with my brother, and do a little shopping with my mom. There's no harm in just taking some time to chill and lay low, right?




1 comment:

  1. WOW, working on Black Friday, that sounds crazy. I am so glad that you found your experience enjoyable. In college I worked two summers at JC Penney. I worked in the children's and junior's department (on different shifts) during back-to-school and tax free-it was INSANE! It definitely helped pass the time though. As for the rest of your break, good for you! I think that too often we (teachers) are too hard on ourselves when we relax and don't work on/obsess over school stuff. We must remind ourselves that we are allowed to have a life outside of school at least a few days out the year anyway : )

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)