Friday, November 4, 2011

Fashion Week Day 6: Strengths and Weaknesses

We all have strengths and weaknesses in pretty much every area of our lives. I feel like I'm really good at some things in my career and suck at other aspects of it. Fashion can be the same way. I'm not a fashion blogger for a reason... I'm pretty sure people would get sick of me after a couple weeks because I have some major flaws in my work wardrobe. At least I acknowledge this fact and I will hopefully continue to work on them.

Here are a few of my weak areas:
  1. I'm a slave to black pants. Dress pants suck. They never seem to fit me the right way or fit my price range. I pretty much only wear black pants because that's what usually looks best on me. I have other colors of dress pants, but I really don't wear them all that often. My legs are not best feature and dress pants seem to usually highlight that fact. I know I need to try a little harder to branch out, but sometimes it's really really hard.
  2. I forget there are a lot of great stores other than the ones I usually shop at. Sometimes we just get into habits of going to the same places. I'm totally a creature of habit as you may have figured out on Day 1. I neglect a lot of great stores a lot of times. I feel like I'm in an awkward spot as far as my age and style. Juniors isn't really my fit or style anymore, but I'm not ready for "mom jeans" or cheesy light-up sweaters in the misses department. (No offense to any moms out there... I know plenty of you are stylish ladies.) I think a lot of department stores in particular neglect to have sections for those of us in the middle that are also on a budget. I know if I spent more time looking, though, I'd find I'm missing out on a lot of good stuff.
  3. I buy things I don't really need. Okay, I don't need hardly any clothing to get by, but that fact aside I will admit that sometimes I make purchases just because something is such a great deal. For example, I love dresses, but I don't really wear them all that often. I have a ton, though! I have some I've never worn because I've never had the right occasion for them, but they were super cheap so I bought them anyway. I'm trying to be more budget conscious and remind myself that just because it's on sale doesn't mean it's a good deal for me. Those little purchases add up and I could be spending that money on a higher priced item I really want versus a bunch of small cheap things I'm just getting for the heck of it.
  4. Shoes aren't a high priority for me. I have a lot of shoes, but I really don't think I could be considered a "shoe girl." Other than athletic shoes (which I talked about on my Lust List), I really don't care about brands. The majority of my shoes are from Target and cost less than $20. Every year I tell myself I'll break down and get nice work shoes, but I can never seem to find the perfect combination of style and price so I sacrifice one or the other.
Now onto my strengths:
  1. I'm usually open to trying new things. I wouldn't say I'm on the cutting edge of fashion, but I am usually willing to embrace new trends and at least try them. I'll try on pretty much anything I see in the store that seems like it could be a possibility. I have my trends that I'm more fond of, but I'll usually give just about anything at least a try. I've been pleasantly surprised that some new trends are more flattering than I'd expect. It's just a matter of giving it a try!
  2. I'm committed to getting good deals whenever possible. It's also kind of a weakness, but as I've said before I pretty much never pay full price for anything. I have to really need something or be at a store that I can't visit frequently for me to pay full price. And even then, I still might ask about teacher discounts or coupons or something that I might be able to use.
  3. I'm getting more adventurous! I'm definitely trying to be more creative with how I mix and match my clothing. I have a lot to work with, so there's no reason I shouldn't be able to have a little fun with it! Pinterest, blogs, and Polyvore are inspiring me to get more creative in putting together great outfits!

2 comments:

  1. You are too funny. I have to say that I am enjoying your posts about fashion. I am with you as far as how easy it is to get into a routine/rut when it comes to "school clothes." I just turned 31 last month and I totally know what you mean about being in between the juniors and misses styles. Maybe someone will figure it out for us . . . before we need the misses clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mrs. Corbitt! I appreciate the feedback. It's been fun blogging about something different for a few days. I feel a bit burnt out with school right now!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)