Saturday, January 28, 2012

Allow me to have this momentary freak out...

We had an early meeting a few days ago about assessments and got the testing schedule.  We've found in the past few years that most teachers prefer to get all of their reading and math tests completed before spring break.  I must say, I'm one of the ones that prefers this schedule.  It's so nice to be able to leave for our week off and know that assessments are behind us (and that the kids rocked them) and not worry about what's going to happen to their little third grade minds during a week away from school.

I was planning on the first two full weeks of March for testing, so you can expect my surprise when I saw that my class starts reading assessments on February 28th!!!  

*gasps for air*

Yes, we start in February...  As in NEXT MONTH!

As in A MONTH FROM TOMORROW!

My principal told me if I wanted to push it off a week we could make it work, but I think I'm just going to stay with the start date of the 28th and just get it over with.  At that point, a week isn't going to make a huge difference, if anything.  Plus, my student teacher has a unit to teach and I'd like to give her time to get that taught so she can work on her portfolio over the break.  

So, next I decided to calculate how many school days we have until the 28th...

*screams*

17 DAYS!!!

*right eye begins to twitch*

Between an inservice day, conferences, conference release, and President's day we are down to just 17 school days until we begin testing.

I have a pretty bright class this year (a curse when it comes to scheduling), so I don't think I'm as worried about testing as I've felt in past years.  I'm still freaking out, though, because there's so much to still practice and review.  As my principal reminded us, we've done a great job every year and will continue to do so this year.

On a happy note, our school was recently given a special award for being one of the top scoring schools in the state.  The award is actually based on test scores AND attendance, so it's a pretty cool honor.  We were the only school in our area to get it and one of only 43 other elementary schools in the entire state.  YAY FOR US!!!

No pressure, right!?!  ; )



1 comment:

  1. WOW! Seventeen days huh? That's quick. But I must say that I envy you a little that you will actually be able to really relax and enjoy your spring break. We don't begin testing until April 16th and spring break is the middle of March. I hope that your class does awesome, it will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)