Sunday, March 4, 2012

To Theme or Not To Theme?

Yes, it's getting to be that time of year when I'm kind of over the current school year and am already making plans for next year.  It's not that I'm giving up on this year or anything like that...  I'm just already looking forward to a fresh start.  I love that I'm in a career where I get a fresh start each August.  I'm not completely stuck doing everything the same year after year.  If you know me, you know I like change in my home, my wardrobe, and my classroom.  I can't keep things to same for too long before I get bored.

We've done school-wide themes the past 4 years...  Western, stars / space, jungle, and sports.  I like this, but only to a point.  Our new principal, who's been around for years before this as a teacher, has been surveying our staff about themes.  It sounds like we're leaning towards not having a school-wide theme next year.  I try not to spend a lot of money on theme decorations, but I do still have boxes of theme items I probably won't use ever again.  (Uh, western?  I may live in Kansas, but I am about as far from a cowgirl as you get.)  Ideas were thrown out to let teachers just do whatever they want or maybe select a grade level theme.

I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, I want to do with my classroom next year.  Why am I thinking about this already?  I like planning ahead and knowing what I'm looking for when I'm out shopping.  If I spot something on an amazing sale, I can snatch it at a good price.  I can also be lurking around on Pinterest and the blogs gathering up ideas as well.  Let's just admit, Pinterest has put me into idea overload and I need some time to just work on those projects!

Here are some of my ideas and "themes" so far and links to give you visuals:
If you haven't been able to tell already I'm not really into cutesy little animal or character decor schemes.  (Nothing against that kinda stuff...  It's just not my thing.)  I'm more of a pattern and color scheme girl.  

So, friends, help me make some decisions!  
What do you think I should do in my classroom next year?  
Please give me your vote in the comments below!  

2 comments:

  1. You know, the zebra stuff sounds sooooo cute. I know it's $$$, but if you already have a lot of black and white, I bet you could just add some simple details to make it work!
    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tommies Tools! I love it!! The bday board is cool, but you can totally do your whole room with that border, backing and accents!
    So excited that your testing is finished ours is after spring break :(
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)