Monday, June 30, 2014

Makeup Monday: 5 Items Worth the Splurge

Last week I talked about some of my favorite drugstore cosmetics and my favorite items if you're wanting basics or to save money.  Today I'm going to swing the opposite direction and discuss my favorite high-end products and what I think is worth the extra money.

Worth the splurge...




Naked Palettes - I have 3 of the 4 UD Naked palettes (the only one I don't have is the original).  I didn't pay full price for any of mine, but waited until I had points to redeem at Ulta, a coupon, or a gift card (or some combination).  If I weren't such a makeup junkie (or had better self control) I could probably function with one of these as my sole eye shadow collection.  These give great variety, work for any season, and you can create tons of looks.  There are a lot of neutral palettes out there right now that I know are also good quality that will give you the same versatility.  (Honorable Mention:  Too Faced Natural Eye palette ~  I haven't had mine that long, but it's pretty amazing and less pricey than the 3 big Naked palettes.)

Nars Blush - After several years I finally gave in and bought the Nars "Orgasm" blush and it was totally worth it.  I've never really been one for high-end blushes, but this one has such a great reputation that I figured it was worth it.  It's very versatile and I have a feeling it's going to last me a LONG time!

Clarisonic - I purchased a Clarisonic Mia 2 about a year and a half ago and love it!  I did my research on other face brushes and while there are some other good and less expensive ones out there, Clarisonics came very highly recommended.  Once again, I waited until Sephora had a coupon out (it happens about twice a year), so I didn't quite pay full price for mine.  

Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliners - I'd never tried a high-end eyeliner until I picked up an UD trio at Sephora.  I'm typically content with my $3 and under eyeliners from Walgreens, but had noticed with spring and allergy season that they weren't holding up so well.  I don't wear my UD liners everyday, but when I know I need my liner to stay looking good for a longer period of time, these are the ones I reach for!

Primers - I've become a pretty big believer in primers over the past few years.  I've noticed I'm a lot happier with my makeup when I prime and it makes my look last a lot longer.  I think investing in a good primer is worth it because it really can affect how the rest of your makeup performs.  I love Benefit's Porefessional and Smashbox's Photo Finish Light for my face.  I seem to have endless samples of eyeshadow primers and really like the ones from Urban Decay, Too Faced, and The Balm.

If you're going to drop extra money on a makeup or skincare item, do your research and make sure it's something that you know you'll like.  None of these things were items that I just tossed into the basket on bought on a whim...  I looked at reviews, tutorials, and swatches online as well as looked at them in store (multiple times) before committing to the purchase.  All of my splurges are also pretty basic items that I knew would give me versatility.

What items do you think are worth the splurge? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile! :)