Monday, April 9, 2012

Summer Reading List

I'm a teacher who doesn't really read in my free time...

Does that make me a hypocrite?

I loved reading when I was a kid.  I owned well over 100 Baby Sitters Club books, but once I outgrew those I kind of lost my love for reading.  I got into some Christian fiction when I was in middle school and high school and would read those over the summer, but I never found anything that I just really enjoyed.  During the school year I was too consumed with the required readings  for my classes that I didn't have any time to read for pleasure anyway.  

The same was true in college, but at least being an El. Ed. major I got to read a lot of neat children's literature.  I'm pretty sure the only books I read for my own enjoyment during my college years were the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books and He's Just Not That Into You.  

A couple summers ago my friend loaned me Confessions of a Shopaholic and I fell in love with that series!  For the first time since I was a kid, I actually found myself choosing a book over TV!  I zipped through all of the books from that series that were out in one summer.  I settled upon the fact that I like slightly fluffy, girly books that are just plain fun to read.  You know, the kind of books that you want to read on a summer day out by the pool...  

So, as summer is approaching I'm coming up with a list of books that I'd like to read.  We've got a few great used bookstores that I'm hoping to hit up for the ones I don't already have.  When Borders when out of business last year I was able to grab a few that I'd wanted, so that was a plus!

  • The Hunger Games series - I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority that haven't read or seen the movie yet. I hear these are a quick read, so I'm hoping to make it through at least the first book by the time the movie hits DVD and my Netflix queue.
  • Something Blue - I read Something Borrowed last fall when the DVD showed up from Netflix and I realized I'd never read the book.  I pushed myself through the book before I'd let myself watch the movie.  (I'm just like that sometimes.)  I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would and have decided I want to read the sequel as well.  (I think there's a chance this one is going to be turned into a movie as well.)
  • The Gatecrasher / Sleeping Arrangements / Cocktails For Three - I really enjoy Sophie Kinsella's books and she also writes under the name Madeline Wickham.  (I feel like one of those is her real name, but I can't remember which one.)  I've never read any of her Madeline Wickham books, but I expect I'll like them as well.  I think all three of these were Borders clearance finds that I grabbed last year and never got around to reading last summer.  I'm hoping to get through at least one or two this year.
  • The Help - Yes, once again, I haven't seen the movie or read the book yet.  I have a thing about reading books before watching movies (if I think I'll actually like the book).  This one probably tops the priority list over The Hunger Games.
  • The Nanny Diaries - I honestly was never all that interested in this movie (do you see a trend with my books?), but I found this book for $1 last year and decided to pick it up.  I spent a good chunk of my teenage and college years babysitting for a living, so I thought this might be a fun read.
I highly doubt I'll make it through all of these books this summer...  I'm planning on working part-time, maybe doing summer school, moving, and possibly traveling, but I do hope that I can make it through a few. I love sitting out on the porch on a summer day reading a good book, even if it's just a chapter or two a day!

What books are you hoping to read this summer?  
Any good recommendations for me?!?  :)

6 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Kitchen House...I struggled through it because of slavery issues, weak female role, but I'm glad I finished it.

    Seems like after I finished by masters, the desire to read for fun had evaporated.

    Pat

    A Time to Share & Create


    MY WEBSITE

    Fabulous 4th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I highly recommend both the Hunger Games and The Help. And the movies were really true to the books, which I loved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Jodi Picoult's novels. I really liked House Rules and Handle With Care.

    :) Abby @ Third Grade Bookworm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something Borrowed and Something Blue are two of my all time favorite books! OH and The Help as well. You have a great summer of reading ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read when I HAVE plenty of free time. I read two and a half long novels over Spring Break! But during the school year, it just doesn't usually happen. I love reading, and I know I probably 'should' take time for it, but it's hard.

    I don't think all teachers have to have reading as their biggest love!

    I haven't watched The Help or Hunger Games either, but that's because I'm waiting to read them first, too! I would also suggest Little Bee and Room-- my Spring Break books that I loved!- and if you like sad books I have even more suggestions :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something Blue was soooooo much better than the first one. I didn't think I would like it because I hated Darcy in the first one. Ethan makes the book totally worth it!


    Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)