Monday, April 2, 2012

Total Teach: Day One

My student teacher started her "total teach" today so I'm trying to stay out of the classroom as much as possible...  The conference room would be the ideal spot for me to hang out, but we're still doing assessments in 4th grade and that's one of our separate setting locations.  Soooooo, I got to hang out in the office today!  It actually worked out well because one of the secretaries was gone today so I tried to help out a little bit.  

I decided today was my day to work on some of my own projects, so I got on Pinterest and started going through my pins for things I wanted to work on.  I made several posters and submitted 5 projects to the copy center to be made up for me there.  (I didn't have my camera with me so I'll try to take pics when I remember!)  I feel like I was pretty productive today, but I have a feeling it's going to be kind of a long 2 1/2 weeks!  

I walked into the classroom during reading work stations to grab a few things and one of my students looked at me and said, "Where have you been for so long?!?"  I left sick mid-morning Friday and apparently none of my kids noticed my absence until the end of the school day!  Well, this little guy was pretty much the only one that's noticed I've been gone so I told him I guess he's the only one that seems to care about me right now!  LOL  

On a slightly related note, today, April 2nd is World Autism Awareness Day...  I won't go into spouting off all the stats on Autism, but I will say that this is something that has become more near and dear to my heart this year.  The student that I just mentioned (the one who asked where I've been) has Autism and is seriously one of the most awesome kids I know.  He's my first student with an Autism diagnosis and he's made amazing progress in the last couple years.  When I hear about where he was at in preschool and kindergarten and see where he is now as a third grader it makes me realize how having hard-working, caring adults makes all the difference in a child's life.  This is a student who now has genuine friends, has made leaps of academic progress, and is just a super kid!  I look at some of the younger kids in my school with Autism and see that there is so much potential there!  




1 comment:

  1. Student teachers are wonderful when you have a good one! It's funny how the kids react when they figure out you gotta leave the room every now and then. I have been watching the recent autism stats and it's getting so alarming. Just became a new follower~
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)