Friday, July 27, 2012

Fashion Friday: Hot Weather Work Clothes

I'm not really a fan of summer...  I don't like hot weather and I don't like feeling sweaty and stinky all the time.  I swear I take more showers and change clothes more in the summer than any other time of year.  

One advantage to not working during the summer is that I don't have to worry as much about having hot weather work clothes.  I really hate having to dress for school when it's super hot outside. 

Here's why...

First, with the exception of this past spring when my A/C was out, my classroom is super cold when the air is on.  If I don't have it all the way down it get's super stuffy and warm.  There seems to be no happy medium.  I have to tell the kids early on to bring hoodies.  It can be blastingly hot outside and be frigid inside.  So, most of the time I dress to deal with the cold inside, but every third day I have afternoon recess duty and every few weeks I have bus duty outside in the afternoon.  On those days I feel like I have to dress for two polar opposite climates.  The other problem is that a lot of warm weather clothes aren't totally appropriate to wear to school.  I layer a lot and my school isn't super super strict on the dress code as long as we look nice, but it can still be hard to find things that are cool and modest at the same time.

Comfy Hot Weather Work Clothes



So, here are some things I like for hot weather outfits.  I know that for some schools not all of this would fly, but it works for me.  Make sure you know what the dress code is at your school and keep your look professional.


  • Dress in lightweight layers - I have two tips for layering...  First, use layering to make some of your more immodest summer clothes more modest.  Just simply adding a tee or tank under another top or dress can make it appropriate.  Second, if you wear thicker layers (like cardigans or jackets) remember that you may want to keep your second layer modest so that if you get too warm you have the freedom to take it off.  
  • Dress up your basics - A solid colored tee and some basic cropped dress pants might be comfy, but it's kind of a dull outfit.  Pull your look together with accessories like a statement necklace, a fun colored belt, or a warm weather scarf.  If you need to be outside where it's hot, the scarf is an easy layer to remove!  I'm also a fan of spicing things up with cute sandals or flats...  Just make sure they're comfy enough to wear all day!
  • Knits are your friend - I love a nice knit dress this time of year, if fact, I could probably live in them.  This totally goes with the two tips above...  They're great for layering and great for dressing up with accessories.  It's not like my job is dirty or anything (most of the time, LOL), but I also love the convenience of wash and wear clothes.  I hate having to dry clean items and don't like to wear really fussy things to work.  I don't dress like I did back in the days when I had an office job!  Look for knits that aren't super thin, that fit your body, and that aren't sloppy looking.  One item I'm hoping to snag before school starts is a basic black knit maxi skirt.  It's easy to wear and would be a great transition piece into fall!
Here are a few online picks for hot weather work clothes:

Banana Republic Cap-Sleeve Tee Dress - I bought this dress on a whim last week to wear for the wedding rehearsal dinner and another reception the same night.  It's basically a long t-shirt, but the fit is great both belted and unbelted.  I have to totally admit I have pretty much same dress with 3/4 sleeves from earlier this year, but with the 2 coupons I was able to combine I really couldn't leave it behind.  It's seriously one of those items I could wear everyday.  (And have had to resist the urge to do so!)

Banana Republic Striped Back-Zip Top - This is a little dressier, but very similar to a sleeveless top I got from Loft back in February.  This would be perfect with some cropped pants and a cardigan!

Old Navy Knit Tops - Old Navy is great for inexpensive basics.  They've got a whole slew of cute knits that are perfect for layering with cardigans or denim jackets.

Gap Mercer V-Neck Tee - These are a new fave of mine.  They're the perfect weight, come in tons of fun colors, and are actually not so super low that I have to wear a tank underneath.

J.Crew Vintage Cotton Tee - I don't have any of these tees, but I do have one of the tanks and they're a really nice weight for layering.  I love all of the fun colors and the possibilities you can have with accessories!

Forever 21 Floral Pompom Trimmed Scarf - How cute is this?!?  It's got the light colors to make it a little summer-y, but also the black to keep it grounded.  I'm super tempted to track this one down!

Forever 21 Sheer Striped Scarf - This one is super lightweight and basic, but would be great paired with a nice knit tee and some crops.

And finally, some PINSPIRATIONS!



1 comment:

Comments make me smile! :)