Thursday, July 26, 2012

Top Ten Teacher's Desk Essentials

I don't spend a ton of time at my desk throughout the day, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be easily converted into one of those teachers who gives up having a desk altogether.  I need my own space for my stuff (and a space where the kids aren't necessarily allowed to venture).  I cleaned out my desk right before school ended and realized I have a lot of essentials that I like to keep handy for myself and that I find myself reaching for throughout the day.  I wanted to share a few of these things...  I think it's always a great idea to gift practical items to teachers (particularly new ones)!
Post it Pop up Note Dispenser
Image:  officedepot.com


  1. Post-its, Post-its, Post-its!  I grab these multiple times per day and have to have a variety of sizes on hand at all times.  I got this super cute purse from one of my students last year and absolutely love it!  Not only is it adorable, but also very practical as well!
  2. A cute water bottle.  I have quite the collection of water bottles (I keep getting them as gifts), but I do really enjoy my pink K-State Nalgene bottle and another cute purple sweat-proof bottle.  I also always have a nice stock of Crystal Light or Mio on hand to add some flavor.  
  3. Teacher-only hand sanitizer.  I teach, therefore I hoard hand sanitizers.  At last count I had 27 Pocket Bacs and other good smelling hand sanitizers in my drawer at home.  I like to keep at least one bottle on hand at school that is just for me.  I have a really cute apple-shaped one from Bath & Body Works that is just for me!  It smells good and the kids can't get their germy hands on it!
  4. Colorful pens!  This should be a given, but I usually let myself get a new set or two of nice pens for grading (and other random stuff) during the back to school sales.  
  5. A beauty bag...  Or bucket...  Or both!  It's not like I sit and primp myself all day long, but it's a good idea to keep some essentials on hand.  I have a cute little metal bucket that holds a small hand lotion, body spray, and lip gloss that I can grab whenever during the day.  My new addiction to Revlon's Lip Butters will definitely ensure one of those neutral shades makes its way into my bucket.  I also keep a bag with a toothbrush and mini toothpaste (great for conferences), extra "girl products," and a mini deodorant.  You never know when you'll need some of those things or if you want to freshen up after school and don't have the chance to go home first!
  6. Some personal touches.  I love having pictures of friends and family at school and I think it's a good way for kids to remember that you're also a "real person" and not just a teacher!  I also show off my love for my Wildcats and have plenty of K-State decor in my little area of the room!
  7. Small snacks.  Depending on my schedule, I usually like to have a small snack around the middle of the morning.  I try to keep small, healthy(ish) snacks on hand like Special K bars or 100 calorie packs.  I'm horrible about eating breakfast, so this keeps me going until lunchtime.
  8. A rainbow of Sharpies.  I have an entire bucket full of colorful Sharpies and I use them all the time.  This time of year is a great time to snag big packets at really great prices!
  9. Some sort of organizational system.  This is a little vague, because what works for you may not necessarily work for me.  I like having the essentials on hand...  For example, I have my paperclips in a bucket on my desk because at least 10 times a day my students or I are reaching for one.  Other stuff can go in the drawers because I don't use them as often.  You just have to figure out what works for you.
  10. Pain relievers.  No joke.  No matter how much you love your job, there are going to be days when you feel like crap.  A bottle of ibuprofen is a must for me.  You never know when you're going to get struck with a headache or whatever.  This has been a lifesaver on multiple occasions!
What are your teacher's desk essentials?  I'd love to hear what your must haves are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile! :)