I don't spend a ton of time at my desk throughout the day, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be easily converted into one of those teachers who gives up having a desk altogether. I need my own space for my stuff (and a space where the kids aren't necessarily allowed to venture). I cleaned out my desk right before school ended and realized I have a lot of essentials that I like to keep handy for myself and that I find myself reaching for throughout the day. I wanted to share a few of these things... I think it's always a great idea to gift practical items to teachers (particularly new ones)!
- Post-its, Post-its, Post-its! I grab these multiple times per day and have to have a variety of sizes on hand at all times. I got this super cute purse from one of my students last year and absolutely love it! Not only is it adorable, but also very practical as well!
- A cute water bottle. I have quite the collection of water bottles (I keep getting them as gifts), but I do really enjoy my pink K-State Nalgene bottle and another cute purple sweat-proof bottle. I also always have a nice stock of Crystal Light or Mio on hand to add some flavor.
- Teacher-only hand sanitizer. I teach, therefore I hoard hand sanitizers. At last count I had 27 Pocket Bacs and other good smelling hand sanitizers in my drawer at home. I like to keep at least one bottle on hand at school that is just for me. I have a really cute apple-shaped one from Bath & Body Works that is just for me! It smells good and the kids can't get their germy hands on it!
- Colorful pens! This should be a given, but I usually let myself get a new set or two of nice pens for grading (and other random stuff) during the back to school sales.
- A beauty bag... Or bucket... Or both! It's not like I sit and primp myself all day long, but it's a good idea to keep some essentials on hand. I have a cute little metal bucket that holds a small hand lotion, body spray, and lip gloss that I can grab whenever during the day. My new addiction to Revlon's Lip Butters will definitely ensure one of those neutral shades makes its way into my bucket. I also keep a bag with a toothbrush and mini toothpaste (great for conferences), extra "girl products," and a mini deodorant. You never know when you'll need some of those things or if you want to freshen up after school and don't have the chance to go home first!
- Some personal touches. I love having pictures of friends and family at school and I think it's a good way for kids to remember that you're also a "real person" and not just a teacher! I also show off my love for my Wildcats and have plenty of K-State decor in my little area of the room!
- Small snacks. Depending on my schedule, I usually like to have a small snack around the middle of the morning. I try to keep small, healthy(ish) snacks on hand like Special K bars or 100 calorie packs. I'm horrible about eating breakfast, so this keeps me going until lunchtime.
- A rainbow of Sharpies. I have an entire bucket full of colorful Sharpies and I use them all the time. This time of year is a great time to snag big packets at really great prices!
- Some sort of organizational system. This is a little vague, because what works for you may not necessarily work for me. I like having the essentials on hand... For example, I have my paperclips in a bucket on my desk because at least 10 times a day my students or I are reaching for one. Other stuff can go in the drawers because I don't use them as often. You just have to figure out what works for you.
- Pain relievers. No joke. No matter how much you love your job, there are going to be days when you feel like crap. A bottle of ibuprofen is a must for me. You never know when you're going to get struck with a headache or whatever. This has been a lifesaver on multiple occasions!
What are your teacher's desk essentials? I'd love to hear what your must haves are!