Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Best Buys of 2012

I thought I'd do my own little "best of" feature to highlight a few of the best things I've bought in 2012.  I invested in a few quality items this year, but have also discovered a few new inexpensive favorites this past year as well.   

Best Beauty Buy

This award goes to two items I bought separately, but use together.  The first is my Clarisonic Mia 2.  I've had it about a month now and really like it. My skin tends to freak out when the seasons change and when it's that time of the month and while I feel like this hasn't eliminated my skin issues, it's definitely helped speed up the recovery process after a breakout.  I also recently started using Philosophy Purity Made Simple cleaner with the Clarisonic.  (The cleanser was on special for $10 on Black Friday and I'd liked the samples I'd tried.)  I'd seen a lot of things saying that these two products are a great team and I definitely agree!  

Clarisonic - Mia2™ Skin Cleansing System
Image via sephora.com

Best Pants Buy

AE's straight jeans have been a fave of mine for a few years and I recently added a lighter wash version to my jeans collection.  It's an online only style, but is definitely worth checking out if you're looking for a slimmer cut jean that's not a skinny. (They're also perfect to roll up and wear cropped during the warmer months!)

Best J.Crew Knockoff

My colorblock striped tee from JCP is probably my favorite J.Crew knockoff.  I tried on the "real" version last winter, but didn't like the fit or the $45 (or whatever) pricetag.  I don't go into JCP often, but I spotted this one recently and loved it!  The fit is better on me and the neon at the top is super fun!

Best Beauty Buy(s)

I feel like I've gone a little makeup crazy.  Just blame the blogs, You Tube videos, and Pinterest...  I'm going to break this down into a few categories where I discovered some real stand-out items.

Best Beauty Buys of 2012



Foundation - Revlon ColorStay for normal to oily skin.

Powder - Rimmel Stay Matte 

Blush - Ulta brand

Eye shadow - Urban Decay Naked 2 palette

Primer - Benefit POREfessional

Lip Product - Revlon Lip Butters

Best Nail Polish - Flip Flop Fantasy by China Glaze

(All are available at Ulta...  UD and Benefit can also be found at Sephora.)

Best App Purchase

Although my ESPN Fantasy Football gets a lot of use on the weekends, Instagram is by far my favorite ap download of the year.  I've had an iPod Touch (pre-camera) for a few years, but just got an Android smartphone at the end of last year, so I was a little late to jump on that bandwagon.  I love seeing and sharing photos with friends on there and having another way to connect with some of my favorite bloggers!

Best Home Purchase

I'm still in love with my Vanessa Floral bedding (no longer online) that I purchased at Pottery Barn before my move this summer.  It's more neutral than I typically go, but it's a welcome change!  Pottery Barn pretty much can do no wrong when it comes to bedding!



Best Accessory Purchase

I'm going to go with a very recent one...  This was actually a Christmas gift (to myself with my Christmas bonus) and I'm super happy with my Coach tote!  (It's online as the "Coach Poppy Metallic Signature Sateen Glam Tote.")  I wanted an all-black fabric purse and have liked this style of tote for quite a while.  I think it will be really good for traveling, but is also a nice everyday purse and a good investment for me.





Source: coach.com via Conolley on Pinterest


Well, there you go... My best purchases of 2012!  I really didn't have many items I regretted buying this year...  Just some things I liked more than others.  I've started using Pinterest, blogs, and You Tube as a source for getting recommendations before buying products.  I think this has really helped me find some great items and not waste as much money on things that aren't so great.  There really isn't much that I buy without looking for photos or reviews online first.

What were your favorite purchases of 2012?  
Do you have any recommendations for things I should pick up in 2013?

3 comments:

  1. If I am remembering correctly, you should add the Gap leopard scarf! I wanted one so bad, but I was foolish and put it on my Christmas list, and then they were sold out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true... It's probably my favorite scarf of the year. My mom really wanted one and it popped back online for about a day and I was able to get her one for Christmas. Even my friend that works part-time at Gap said she never saw it in the store! :(

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year, love. Fabulous post. If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my Candy Land Christmas party. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)