Monday, July 1, 2013

The $100 Challenge

Each year our PTA gives (reimburses) the teachers $100 for classroom supplies.  I always tell myself that I am going to stick to this $100 budget and then find myself spending almost twice as much.  This year, though, I'm taking on the challenge of actually sticking to my $100 budget so that I don't shell out any of my own money.  

Back when I started teaching I was dropping about $100 a month on books, supplies, and resources for my classroom.  I can't imagine spending that much on school stuff now, but I guess at that point in my life that was where my money needed to go. 

I thought I'd share my school purchases as I go and share my running tally of where my $100 budget has gone.  I have a few specific essentials to pick up, but I have the majority of my budget to spend on whatever I find over the next couple months.

My first purchase was 3 of the "Who Was..." biographies.  I never go to Wal-Mart, but went there with a friend and happened upon a Scholastic book display.  I have quite a few of these bios already and really like them (my kids last year called them the "big head books"), so I was excited to find ones on Dr. Seuss, Walt Disney, and Neil Armstrong.  These are perfect for my reading units and fit my need for more non-fiction teacher real alouds.  These were $4.24 each, so I little discounted from the $4.99 cover price.


Current Total:  $13

Remaining Budget:  $87

I'll keep you updated on my budget and purchases as the summer goes on!

What would you buy with $100 for your classroom?!?

1 comment:

  1. I love those books! I try to get a lot of my books through Scholastic and take advantage of their $1 deals and bonus points. I also get books at library sales where they are only 25 cents each - awesome deal! Good luck with your $100!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile! :)